Interdisciplinary Quarterly

/ A Scholarly WordPress Experience

Meet IQ Students!

07.22.2016 - Issue 3
IQ Editor
Leave a comment

Mr. Gerald Peer and Mr. Max Mattheu  (2018)

Mr. Gerald Peer completed Interdisciplinary Studies at the Seminole Campus where he excelled in Computer Science, technology, and student publication.

He did an outstanding job as IQ’s Executive Student Editor in 2018.

Mr. Max Mattheu hailed from the SPC Gibbs Campus  ~ and served as IQ’s Associate Student Editor in 2018.

He juried photographs for our travel issue also authoring Materialism and Identity: Economic Dissolution in Robinson’s “The Mill.”

Thank you, Gerald & Max (2018)!

***

Ms. Ashley Powers and Ms. Carly Diaz  (2017)

Ms. Ashley Powers and Ms. Carly Diaz completed Interdisciplinary Studies at the Seminole Campus where they excelled in student publication and launched IQ online.

Ms. Ashley Powers and Ms. Carly Diaz were also recognized as Outstanding IDS Students.

They served as IQ Executive Student Editors with Ms. Ashley Powers authoring Nuevas Perspectivas: What Teaching Abroad Taught Me and Ms. Carly Diaz authoring a review of A Map for Saturday.

Thank you, Ashley and Carly (2017)!

***

Ms. Justine Murray (2016)

Ms. Justine Murray completed IDS at the Seminole Campus where she excelled in multiple disciplines and was recognized as both an Outstanding Literature Student and Outstanding Humanities Student. Justine also served as our Executive Student Editor for Spring & Summer of 2016. Congratulations, Justine! We wish you continued success at the University of South Florida!

My name is Justine Murray, but please call me Anina. In my two years at St. Petersburg College, I have participated in the Early College Program, maintained a 3.5 grade point average, received several academic awards, served as the lead student editor of IQ, and joined numerous clubs on campus. Through the Early College Program, I was able to obtain my High School Diploma while pursuing an Associates in Arts Degree. Although I was three credits short to apply for an Educational Bachelor’s Program, I completed 64 credit hours in my two years. This allowed me to graduate twice in both May and June.

None of that would have been possible without Interdisciplinary Studies! It was an IDS course that combined two of my favorite subjects and helped me on my academic pathway. I always loved Literature, Composition, and English classes. Reading and writing were inspirational escapes and emotional expressions that engaged me while I was a young child. History was always fascinating to me as well. Learning about how people lived in the past inspired me—and their accomplishments always pushed me to do my best. To me, the Humanities are the way people express themselves. Humanities is the intersection of art and history. History records human achievements in time. Art has aesthetic appeal even after hundreds or thousands of years. The Humanities express the idea that all of us belong to the human race. This is why IDS captivated my interest. To me, IDS is the combination of all of my favorite subjects—making it the best!

One benefit of combining different subjects into one course is that it attracts students. If a student doesn’t enjoy a course, they won’t improve their learning in that subject. A student will do more than thrive in a course that s/he loves. IDS courses allow a wider variety of students to succeed by providing another course that they will benefit from. IDS will ignite their passion, their curiosity, and their intellect. As Socrates said “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.”

Mr. Erik Durneika (2015)

We feature St. Petersburg College student Erik Durneika, 2015 All- USA Academic Team Bronze Scholar and 2015 All-Florida First Academic Team winner, in this issue of the IDS QUARTERLY.

Erik Durneika is a student at the Seminole Campus where he also works on the Interdisciplinary Quarterly. Erik received the “Student of the Year in Ancient Greek Mythology” and “Outstanding Student in Composition” Awards. Excelling in English, History, Social Sciences, and the Humanities, Erik has been nominated for the coveted Apollo & Eagle Awards, bringing distinction to both his campus and college atmospheres. Congratulations, Erik! We wish you continued success at the University of South Florida, Honors College, majoring in English with Writing Studies!

What is your name? Major? Accomplishments at SPC? Career goals?

My name is Erik Durneika. I am a sixteen-year-old, dual-enrolled student who is currently pursuing an Associate of Arts Degree at St. Petersburg College. I was honored for my excellence by being on SPC’s Presidential Honor List for three consecutive semesters as well as by being inducted into the Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society. Just recently, I was named to Coca-Cola’s 2015 All-USA Academic Team as a Bronze Scholar as well as to the 2015 All-Florida First Academic Team based on my academic and leadership accomplishments. SPC has helped me to succeed in my academic goals, where I have met many wonderful professors who have positively influenced me and encouraged my academic interests thus far. I have also refined my leadership skills by serving the SPC Seminole International Club as the Vice- President and Secretary, promoting international cultural knowledge and diversity. Additionally, I have embraced the importance of community service as an active member of the Rotaract Club.

Ultimately, I plan to pursue my bachelor’s degree in English with Writing Studies. After my undergraduate “journey,” I plan to attend law school in order to attain a J.D.; this aforementioned academic decision would open up a vast array of career choices and would widen my career goal of possibly being employed by the International Court of Justice.

What do you like best about Interdisciplinary Studies?

In my perspective, Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) strongly reflects traditions. What I like the most about the previously mentioned branch of studies is that it is innovative; IDS strives to showcase and illustrate past (and even ongoing) traditions, beliefs, movements, and historical events while utilizing the art of writing to further people’s opinions and outlooks on certain aspects that are essential components that contribute to mankind. Therefore, interdisciplinarity is truly the “Great Synthesis” between both past and present customs. Additionally, I feel that Interdisciplinary Studies is a subject that is very relevant to human existence. The specific field of exploration might also potentially uncover and solve questions of the future; perhaps history does repeat itself over a specific time span. Lastly, another aspect that I cherish about Interdisciplinary Studies is the feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment that the subject can bestow upon an individual. IDS allows one to completely analyze a certain subject within humanities and to actively participate in expressing one’s ideas regarding the particular topic. In other words, this field of introspectively expressing one’s ideas or thoughts can truly give a human being a “360 degree” perspective of humanity in relation to rich literary traditions – a realm that is continuously metamorphosing.

What research projects are you working on?

I am currently working on a sociological research project that is titled “The Constraints of Religion in the People’s Republic of China.”

The academic report explores the social issue of religion that is present in modern-day China. Within my research project, the restrictions of religious doctrines, ceremonies, and holidays of Muslims (Uighurs), Christians, and Buddhists (Tibetan Buddhism & Falun Gong/Dafa) in China are discussed while supporting the issue with up-to- date sociological data. It was interesting to realize the diversity that China has aside from the stereotypical “Han” ethnic group of this vast nation. In addition, this country in the Far East showcases a combination of traditional architecture amidst a plethora of religions – Buddhism, Confucianism, Christianity, Islam, and even Judaism all within the city limits of Shanghai. Within the academic project, I also discuss additional topics that largely affect the influence of certain world religions within China, including: ethnic diversity and the political system of the country.

Do you have any suggestions for Interdisciplinary Students?

Interdisciplinary Studies is a wonderful subject for both Liberal Arts students and scientifically minded individuals. The specific academic subject enables students to understand significant events and movements that took place throughout the history of mankind by being active participants in sharing one’s thoughts and opinions. My best suggestion for future Interdisciplinary Studies students is to approach the branch of study in the most phenomenological way that is possible. Therefore, unless asked to do so, it is best for one not to compare past traditions to present standards. Instead, in order to ensure a focused and relevant analysis, the student composing a literary piece should comment on the previous modes of action and/or thought in regards to the norms that were present in the historical era. In other words, as long as one uses historically relevant and relatable information/evidence, the IDS paper or essay will be a solid work that establishes a supported and an equally balanced point of view.

Mr. Olden Bataku (2014)

We feature Apollo Award winner Oldrin Bataku in our inaugural IDS QUARTERLY! Oldrin completed IDS I & II at the Seminole Campus where he also tutored other students in the program.

Excelling in Mathematics, Science, and History, Oldrin won the coveted Apollo Award, bringing distinction to both his campus and college. You can view his streaming commencement address!

Oldrin Bataku: Interdisciplinary Student & Apollo Award Winner (2014)

Congratulations, Oldrin! We wish you continued success at the University of Miami!

Image Courtesy of Erik Durneika